Monday, October 10, 2011

Crafting Failure #252

It's funny,  when Shawn & Impulsive Addict started this meme a few weeks ago, I thought it might be hard to keep up with these 2 pro bloggers.  After all, they are the central cause of all the coffee stains on my monitor - you know - from all the spitting of my coffee while laughing out at some outrageous thing these girls are telling us.

Seriously, if you are not a regular reader of these two, you must start ASAP - they tell it like it is  and are not ashamed to tell their most embarrassing moments (ask IA about the time she tooted in front of her test-taking class.....and then blamed it on one of her students!!) These girls don't need to bribe you to read them or link up - they don't made up crap about "people not liking them" - they are down to earth real friends.  And I know this - I spent one of the most fun weekends with them last May.

Anyways, back to the meme - I thought I'd have a hard time each week coming up with something funny or creative to talk about for "Talk to Us Tuesday".  The thing is, there are no rules to this meme - you can write about anything you want and I love that.


Seriously Shawn


So today?  I want to show yet another example of the horrible crafting I do.  I have shown you a few of my crafting failures in the past. But this one is unbelievable.  One critical step missing can ruin it completely.

I, like many others, spend hours pinning adorable things on Pinterest.  It makes me motivated to try things I KNOW I can not do.  I KNOW I should not try to do. And I KNOW I will only end up failing.

Rarely, do I ever follow through with any of these silly crafts. Because all they do is turn into monumental failures.  Like the one below:

For my sweet Sister-in-Law's Girls Weekend before her wedding, I decided to make custom wine glasses to commemorate the happy occasion.  Aren't they cute?
 They were actually very easy to do.  Just a few paint pens, stick on gems,  and some different spools of ribbon.......
 It was actually quite therapeutic to make.  How fun to paint a few wine glasses.   And look how cute they turned out for all of us.  It was really a fun event to toast the bride with our matching glasses.
But, I skipped a critical step.

I didn't think I needed to "seal" the fun artwork on the glasses.

And once the cool champagne hit the fun paint.......it started to smear.....
My dots and my swirls started to run down the glasses.....
It didn't look so pretty once they'd been used....

And I wondered why no one took their glasses home.....

When will someone PLEASE just tell me - crafting is NOT your thing??????

I will learn, one of these days .......


19 comments:

Shawn said...

I love those! You had such a great idea and where so incredibly thoughtful to make something so personal for each guest. I'm sorry they didn't work out! I would have thought that you of all people would have read and followed the instruction to the t!

Thanks for linking up my love and hey, we are all running from that mean 8-ball...don't let him get the better of ya!

Impulsive Addict said...

My sweet Becca! Thanks for the kind words and the shout out! I blog embarrassing mishaps so you don't have to! ;)

Well, as for the craft, at least you try to do them. I just look at and read crafting blogs and get green with envy. I know NOTHING about what Viv talks about when she's crafting but I still hate her for being crafty. I hypervenilate when I walk into Hobby Lobby. Ask my mom when I was in charge of table decorations for my brothers wedding! Anyway, you are crafty. You made the Austin girls the cutest cups!!! I'll never forget that.
Thanks for linking up. =)
xoxo

Unknown said...

Oh, at least you try them. They came out really cute! And you are so sweet for doing all that. Too bad you skipped that one step. I do that all the time with my sewing. I always miss a step, then I end up swearing as I'm pulling out seams.

Someday, we will learn how to read all the steps and DO them. :D

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

What a bummer :( Those were beautiful!! Keep at it, girl. I'm always making mistakes while crafting. But every once in awhile something turns out ;)

Mrs. Match said...

Those are gorgeous! Next time just find something to seal them with. If you do, please let me know what it is. I have an awesome wine glass my friend hand painted for my bachelorette and the same thing happened to the classes she gave out as favors. I was really careful about washing mine (the paint is only on the bottom) but I want it to stay nice.

Oh and I 100% agree with you and appreciate that this linky party has no rules, and no THREATS if you mess up on the link. Heaven forbid right? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Those wine glasses are so freaking cute. I really love them. I wish I could craft, I am terrible at anything I try.

Connie said...

Oh no!!!

What are you supposed to seal them with??

Kelli said...

It's the thought. Before the champagne hit they were REALLY cute and I'm sure the bride appreciated the effort.

VandyJ said...

I am less than crafty. I have accepted this. My mother less so. She is crafty personified. She really wishes I would pick up the bug and do all that she does so she can teach me, but I am all thumbs. The only thing I can do is scrap booking. Go with your strengths.

Anonymous said...

Those turned out really cute!

I don't do crafty things. It's always an epic failure for me. I limit my 'projects' to crafts with my four year old. Because to him-I'm Picasso! ;)

Jen said...

You have to SEAL them? With what? hmmm....I'd think glass paint wouldn't come off once set, how weird. They were REALLY BEAUTIFUL Becca! Don't give up!! :)

Robin said...

I have no Martha Stewart Gene. I can't make things look all special and snazzy. I've tried, like you and fail every time.
I gave up.
at least your's turned out fine and looked good and not like a 3rd grader did it. The smear thing... just a technical thing... next time you'll ace it!

Anonymous said...

Where in TX do you live? I love pinning craft ideas on pinterest. I just wish I had the oomph to actually make them!

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stacie said...

Sharing failures makes you brave!

Macey said...

But they're adorable!!! You have to do it again and just remember to seal em. :)
With what, I have no clue, but still...

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I would not have thought to seal those! The paint is on the outside, the liquid is on the inside....

Some of my favorite projects have come from fixing an epic screw up though, so keep crafting! :)

(And IA is totally right!)

Steph said...

Whoops! They look pretty awesome before.

Emmy said...

Doh! Well the looked really cute at first. I think I would have missed the sealing step too

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...