Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Talk To Us Tuesday: Quack

I'm tired.

It's all the swimming I'm doing to keep afloat.  Ya know the old description of a duck that paddles furiously underwater to keep everything on top looking smooth and calm?

That's me lately.

and I'm tired.

And what better forum to complain share how I am feeling that a Talk To Us Tuesday with my sweet friends, Shawn & Impulsive??


Seriously Shawn

For the past few weeks, I have been so so busy.  PTA committees, communications, and meetings keep me busy.  Starting a new business with Thirty-One keeps me busy.  Attempting to generate traffic to my other blog keeps me busy (and that is HARD y'all! You have to LIVE on the Twitter to keep up).  Redecorating 3 kids rooms keeps me busy.  Having dinner on the table each night by 5 keeps me busy.  Girl Scouts fall products.  Cub Scouts popcorn.  Running.  Bloggin here for fun.  Where does my family fit in?

I create the above busyness.  I recognize that.  I volunteered to be the PTA President.  I decided to become a consultant for Thirty-One.  To maintain 4 blogs.  To decorate those rooms.

I keep telling myself that "as soon as I catch up",  I'll feel better.  But I never really feel like I can catch up. My to-do list gets longer each week.

I was analyzing it this week.  As a SAHM, why don't I relax a little?  Play with Bubba.  Peruse all my cookbooks, lovingly thinking of what amazing meals I can make my family. Watch some tv.

Because I can't.  It is not in my make-up.   I don't feel productive unless I can look back on my day and say, that I accomplished XYZ.  Argh!  Who made my "make-up" anyway?

The problem is, the pace I am running life at leaves me with very little time to spend with my family.  No playtime with Bubba.  No laughing time with Sis after school.  No talks with Brody about chameleons and water towers.

This weekend, while painting his room, Brody hung around and we had a good talk.  I told him how much I enjoyed it and I'm sorry we don't talk more.  He said, "that's ok - I know you are super busy on your computer." GULP

yeah.  stellar mom moment for me.

So, confession is off my chest.  now what?  Do I give something up or learn to prioritize better?

This past week, I took a break from the twitter, the face book, and my beloved blogs.  Did I feel more relaxed?  not really - I just found different things to fill my time with.   So I can't say that not blogging is a solution.  I enjoy it too much.

I really feel that I need to start my to-do lists with more important "time-fillers", like these:

Take Bubba to the Park
Play Wii with Brody
Read with Sis
Read to Bubba
Have a date with my hubby (huh? what's that?)
Swing with Brody
Take Sis to the library

Cause those are the important ways to spend my time.  Folding laundry, cleaning house, editing pictures, hanging out on the twitter, and blogging (yes, my beloved blogging) can all wait. 

My family can't.  


12 comments:

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

Definitely agree it's a hard balance! We are always so busy too and I wish I had more time with and for my kids! I'm a (work outside the home) Mom so I feel rushed when I do get home to help with homework, etc etc etc.......

Connie said...

You are the busiest woman I know....and I know a little about this affliction you have. I think I have it too.

Take time for your family...it's very important.

I missed you. A lot.

:)

Anonymous said...

I hear ya; I always feel like I will eventually catch up. I have yet to. I hope you do! Happy Tuesday.

Kelli said...

Amen!

Jen said...

Nope, your family can't wait. Because before you know it, they won't be around anymore :)

Reading your list, while I thought I was busy, you have me beat by a mile! I need to make more of an effort for that quality kid-time too. Starting now :) (And you've discovered why I just can't tweet - too much to keep up with!)

Impulsive Addict said...

Girl, I don't know how you do it. Shawns always busy too. In fact, all my SAHM friends are always busy and I'm not so much but it helps only having one child (but not by choice) and living in a craptastic town that does nothing for the SAHM's in my area. So I pretty much live on the computer if I'm not cooking, cleaning or playing with Emma.

I hope you get some things marked off your to-do list! Thanks for linking up my sweet friend!! xoxo

Macey said...

You are so right. Family can't wait. You know that and I know you are going to do what you need to do to make it what you need it to be. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm tired just reading what all you do in a day...so I can't imagine.

The balancing act is an intricate one...but I don't doubt for a second that you can tackle it head on!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Oh man! You and I are leading parallel lives right now. I'm totally on overload and not getting it all done AND not spending enough time doing family stuff.
I feel like the duck you described.
You hang in there, I will do the same, and we'll meet up for margaritas and some down time really soon. Deal?

Unknown said...

Why do we feel the need to be so busy? I understand your plight. I think we all do.

Family first, the rest can wait!

Amber said...

I admire a lot of you moms that find the time to blog on top of all the other things you have on your plate. I hope one day I can run a family as well as some of you do (including yourself)!

Anyway, if going by lists is what helps you stay organized and on top of things then maybe you do need to write family items on your list. Don't think of that as being a bad mom, you're insuring that time happens...nothing bad about that!

I would definitely reassess what is keeping you so busy. It sounds like it's a temporary stuff and a lot of permanent stuff. What things are important? What things do you enjoy most? Is there something on there you really don't like or look forward to doing? If so then maybe it's time to put it on the back burner until some of the temporary projects finish up.

I really know nothing about having a family, but I like to think those are the things I'd sit back and do if I was in that situation.

Hang in there, you'll get it figured out!!

AndreaLeigh said...

i can relate to what you are saying. you are the most busy non working person that I know! Your life is a job!

i am finding there isn't enough time in the day since i started working. and as a result, i've really let cleaning my house go. i need to re-prioritize and give up some of my blog time. my problem is that I don't want to see it slide again... i've put in a lot of time to get the traffic I have right now. so, i don't really know how to handle this.

i think you should schedule those family things, and work the other stuff around it. go back to using a hour by hour outlook calendar for awhile. schedule in the stuff you have to go (PTA, etc), the stuff you need to do (cleaning), and the stuff you want to do (time with family). then plug in all the other stuff.

i feel for you friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...