Tuesday, September 8, 2009

We Did It!!


This summer, my children and I issued a challenge to everyone we knew- including so many of you!!
Please help us receive a postcard from all 50 states
Well, thanks to the wonders of Face Book and Bloggyland, a postcard from every single state arrived in our mailbox. That's right- Every. Single. State. We received many more than just one from each state too.
Many came from each of you- thank you so much!! And, so many of you reached out to friends & family that you knew in distant states and had them send us postcards as well. We had many show up from people we haven't ever met- I do hope you will thank them from us!! Send them this way, so they can see the results of their efforts please!
Oh yes...results...wanna know how many postcards we received this summer???
Ready for this??


It's HUGE!


168 postcards!!!!


Isn't that amazing?? We even received quite a few from Canada too!! So here's the rundown:

What state did we receive the most postcards from?

ALASKA!!
21 postcards - we had several friends send us lots! (Surprised us too!!)
Our second closest state.....California (Thanks Viv for so many!!)

What state did we receive 2 of the SAME postcard?

Kansas
From 2 completely different people!
What was the biggest postcard we received?

Missouri
The Show Me State has a card as big as my son's head!
What was Sissy's Favorite Postcards?
What was Brody's Favorite Postcard?

Costa Rica?
Yep!! Good friends of ours sent us one from their super-fantastic vacation!!!
What did we do with all the postcards?

Mapped them out!
As each one rolled in, we sat down and I made the kids find them on the map- I think they now know where the majority of states are! Many of you included great info on your state, included a letter about your state or even made your own postcards (Thanks!), so we learned a lot about all the states too!
Last postcards to receive??

Can you see?
I was sweating this out too!! I know tons of people who live in Louisiana and Mississippi....but I am happy to say we received them both last week! Woo-Hoo! Goal accomplished!
My favorite postcards?
The postcards from all of you, my bloggy friends!! I have not met any of you in person, yet you cared enough for my family to help us with our summer project- I appreciate you all so very much!!

Now, how can I top this project next year???


16 comments:

Amanda said...

That was such a great idea! I bet your kids know all 50 states now (maybe they did before!) I cannot believe you got all of them!! Way to go

jennykate77 said...

That is awesome!!! So happy that you guys met (and exceeded) your goal! How crazy that someone else from Kansas sent the exact same postcard that I picked out! :) I know the kiddos loved it and looks like that had a great time collecting them...and learned a lot!

Hope you Darlings have a great week!!♥

Connie said...

This was such a fun project! So glad you got them all!

Jessica said...

You are such an awesome mom, Becca! Seriously. This is the greatest idea! I'm SO sorry that I never got to participate in this, but totally glad that it was a success!!!

Kelli said...

You have some really cool bloggy friends. I think this is a great project and I'm sure your kids learned so much from it.

Anonymous said...

That is such a great idea for learning the states! I want to do this a little later when Ainsley's just a tad older. Thanks for the inspiration and for the fun follow up post!

Kenlie said...

This was such a cool idea! When I saw the title of your post on my blogroll I was hoping it would be about the post cards! :)

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

Hooray! That's so exciting -- what a great project for you and the kids! Love that pic of M holding up the identical cards! What are you going to do with all these postcards? Now they'll have to learn all the capitals... (Maybe that's for next summer!)

Alli said...

Yippee! What a great project...you are so creative! I do hope that my friends from out of state helped add to this collection. I loved seeing which ones were M & J's faves.

Rhonda said...

That is so awesome!! I totally love this idea! My boys love learning about the states. I would love to get a huge map for play room add trim and see if it would work for us!

Yay!!!!! LOVE IT!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Hooray!! What a fun experience for them! You are such a good Momma!

Shawn said...

What a pile o'cards you have there! I'm glaad I could help.

~S

Miller Racing Family said...

I am so excited that you received all of the cards. I had such a great time making our Missouri card. Can't wait to see what next years project will be.

Xazmin said...

That's so awesome! I am the biggest slacker ever for not helping...Tanielle beat me to it, and then I thought I should still send one, but alas...my procrastination got the best of me!

Vivain said...

My daughter Carissa love getting post cards from her Grandparents so Im going to do this project with her. Thanks for the idea! Your such fun mom!

Christie said...

That is such a neat idea. I LOVE it! I think I might have to try it with my first graders...I think they would really enjoy it. =)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...