Tuesday, April 10, 2012

I Hated Running...Until I Tried It

I hated running.  Always did - Dreaded it in P.E. in school and as an adult, just jogging to the end of the driveway would wear me out.
 I always envied those "runners".  Such discipline, such endurance, such nice, skinny bodies....
 In January 2010, I was fed up with being out of shape and filled with "mommy-pudge".
 So I downloaded the Couch to 5K iPhone app and started running each morning with Bubba in the stroller.
 It sucked.  Big time.  Run for longer than 90 seconds straight? Are you kidding me?
 But the more I did it, the more it grew on me.  The more weight I lost and started to enjoy the results.
 My first "race" was in November 2010 - I did a half-marathon.  Forget a 5K - let's just shoot for the moon! It was exhilarating.
 Last weekend, I ran my second half-marathon and shaved 3 minutes off my previous run.  What made that a big deal?  This course was 10-times harder than the first race - hills, endless, grueling hills....
 We didn't have any hills around here to train on, so we knew it would be a tough course.  And the hills are at the beginning of the course, so they really took a lot out of you.  But I stuck with the 2:20 pace team and pushed myself hard.  And by mile 12, I was hurting like never before. Please Lord, give me the endurance to last this last mile......
The race was held out at the Lost Pines Resort, so we made a girls weekend out of it.  The race was over by 11, so we sat by the pool the rest of the day - heaven - and enjoyed wine, cheese, grapes, and other lovely snacks on our patio.   Great girl time. A perfect reward for a job well done.
 I can't say that I LOVE to run - especially while I am doing it.  I love the camaraderie of running with my friends. I love the calories I can burn.  And I love the powerful feeling it gives me. 

I get asked a lot what my "tips" are for running. Here are a few that have worked for me:

1. Start slow - like with the Couch to 5K app - and do it everyday.  NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU HATE IT - the more you do it, the easier it becomes - I promise.

2. Get a nice pair of shoes - your knees will thank you!  My hubby told me to go into the store, try on the nicest shoes until I found a pair that felt like I was walking on a cloud.  And then buy them without looking at the price tag - again, your knees will thank you.  If you want to, go to a special running shoes store and have them evaluate your stride and get you into the perfect shoe right for you.

3. Get a nice Heart Rate Monitor that will count calories - I use a Polar - there is nothing better than being able to see the hard work pay off in calorie burn.  Take it a step further and use an app (My Fitness Pal or Lose It are great) to track your calorie intake and burn - worked for me to lose 60 lbs!

4. Run with a friend - you will hold each other accountable to get out,  you will have great conversation (sometimes it is therapy for us), and you will make a dear friend in the process.

5. Set a goal - run a race (sign up for one!) - lose 10 pounds (start today) - or make it through the C25K app.  Whatever your goal may be, it will help you concentrate and get out there to see an end in site.

Are you a runner?  What tips have worked for you?



9 comments:

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

I am not a runner...but started the Couch to 5K program last year, then slacked off when I went on vacation...Grrr.....big no-no! I definitely need and want to pick it up again though! I love your shoes in the picture too!

Connie said...

I have always wanted to be a runner. In my dreams....I'm running effortlessly!

My knees....hate running. :(

Stacy Uncorked said...

Running and I have never gotten along - from a funky hip that I injured while downhill skiing to my finicky knees to the issue of not being able to find a decent sports bra so my overabundant rack doesn't give me a black eye, I opt out. But I can walk like nobody's business! ;) You are my hero.


RTT Rebel Badges, Easter Spoilage, Bear Basket Transformation, Regal Dentist Dude

Macey said...

I hate running.
Then I tried it.
Guess what.
I still hate it. Hehe.

Impulsive Addict said...

I'm not a huge runner. I like the way I feel when I'm finished. I wasn't a runner until the c25k app (like you). However, I've NEVER signed up for a run. Isn't that crazy? I guess I'm scared of commitment. Maybe one day I'll do a 1/2. My bestie in Texas just did one in Round Rock...or somewhere down there close to you. She has lost 30 pounds and her legs are amazing!

That girl that's with you in the pic has crazy nice abs. I won't ever have that. EVER.

I'm so proud of you for shaving off 3 minutes and it was a harder course! GOOD FOR YOU! I'm glad you got to celebrate by relaxing by the pool! You look GREAT!

Thanks for linking up!

Shawn said...

First, you look amazing!

I love to run but sadly my leg hates it...my leg wins every time.

Way to go on that times, I don't know much about running but I think that's a good time.

Thanks for linking up and if you would please tell your friend I'd like my abs back I'd appreciate it.

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

OMGosh! You're awesome!! Great job. I need to get moving. Maybe I should find an app like that too...

jennykate77 said...

You are such an inspiration, Becca!! So amazing!!

I like using the C25K app. I'm not a runner in any sense of the word, but that app breaks it down into simple steps and makes NONrunners like myself feel like that maybe...one day...they could at least "wog" a 5K.

Emmy said...

So impressed that your first race was a 1/2! I too never ever thought I would be a runner- but when I am out there and finally hit that runner stride where I feel like I could go forever, it is so empowering!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...