I hated running. Always did - Dreaded it in P.E. in school and as an adult, just jogging to the end of the driveway would wear me out.
I can't say that I LOVE to run - especially while I am doing it. I love the camaraderie of running with my friends. I love the calories I can burn. And I love the powerful feeling it gives me.
I get asked a lot what my "tips" are for running. Here are a few that have worked for me:
1. Start slow - like with the Couch to 5K app - and do it everyday. NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU HATE IT - the more you do it, the easier it becomes - I promise.
2. Get a nice pair of shoes - your knees will thank you! My hubby told me to go into the store, try on the nicest shoes until I found a pair that felt like I was walking on a cloud. And then buy them without looking at the price tag - again, your knees will thank you. If you want to, go to a special running shoes store and have them evaluate your stride and get you into the perfect shoe right for you.
3. Get a nice Heart Rate Monitor that will count calories - I use a Polar - there is nothing better than being able to see the hard work pay off in calorie burn. Take it a step further and use an app (My Fitness Pal or Lose It are great) to track your calorie intake and burn - worked for me to lose 60 lbs!
4. Run with a friend - you will hold each other accountable to get out, you will have great conversation (sometimes it is therapy for us), and you will make a dear friend in the process.
5. Set a goal - run a race (sign up for one!) - lose 10 pounds (start today) - or make it through the C25K app. Whatever your goal may be, it will help you concentrate and get out there to see an end in site.
Are you a runner? What tips have worked for you?