Thursday, September 9, 2010

Can He Do What??

Recently, I took the Bubba Boy in for his 15 month check-up.  His weight was great, height is good, he has been so very healthy...we have been so very blessed.  As a momma of 3, I think I probably know how this raising kids thing goes.  I think I know what to expect for the most part....or I thought I did.  Though this visit sure threw me for a loop......

Can Bubba walk yet?
oh yes.
Can Bubba clap yet?
oh yes...want me to show you?
Can he pick up his own food & feed himself?
can he ever!!
Can he say more than 5 words?
uh...let me think.....um...DaDa and Bye.  But he can sign 3 things...does that count?  
Here sweetie, show the nice lady how you want more.  
More Bubba?  More?  (no response from the Bubba Boy) I promise you he can....
Ok.  Can Bubba point to objects in a book when you say them?
no.
Can he point to his body parts?
no. 
Can he sing a song to you?
no lady, I think I already told you that the kids doesn't know more than 2 words!!!!!

What are they going to ask me next, if he can do Algebraic Equations???

At this point I'm starting to feel like I am behind the times.  A 15 month old who can sing and point to things?  Am I going to the "advanced pediatrician?" 
"No, I'm sorry, my son can only toddle around, shovel fist-fulls of cheerios in his mouth, and clear out a tupperware cabinet in 10 seconds flat.  I guess he belongs in the remedial class."

So that was just the nurse.  I still had to wait to see the doctor.  Can you guess what this momma did while waiting?  

Bubba, where's your nose?  Here's your nose!  Point to your nose.

All I got was a blank stare.
In walks Dr. XYZ (whom I go to church with and know) and I jokingly comment, "Ok!!  My son can only say 2 words!"  You would have thought I'd just asked him about cancer.   He very seriously replies that if I don't see an improvement in the next 2 months, we might need to consider getting him in to see a speech therapist!!!!  HUH????  Seriously?????

At this point I am looking around for the camera....surely this is a joke.  I tried not to laugh when I told him that as this is my 3rd child and he's a BOY,  I didn't think that would be necessary.  He is going to be talking up a storm before we know it.  
Bubba can communicate with us just fine.  He DID sign for a few weeks.  He told us when we wanted "more" to eat or if he was "all-done".  He was working hard on "thank-you" and of course he had "bye-bye" and "hi" down pat.  But then it stopped.  His more turned into a point and "oh, oh, oh"sound.  His all done became an adamant shake of the head "no".  And sometimes he would just stare at me when I would ask him.  UGH!!!  So now he can't speak or sign??  Are we going backwards?

No, of course not.  This sweet boy has us wrapped around his finger so darn much, that he doesn't have to do much more than point to what he wants.  Or walk over to the pantry and reach up to open the door when he is hungry.  Or bring us his shoes (or ours) when he wants to go outside.  Or fuss VERY LOUDLY when he doesn't get what he wants.  Why should he learn to talk?  We understand him perfectly well.  
And for the record.  After hearing this story, his Daddy has been working with him on several words.  Ma Ma, Pa Pa, shoe, nigh-nigh and Hi!  are all wonderfully tumbling from his mouth.  Now we just need to start working on those body parts!  I want him in Baby Mensa by 18 months!



13 comments:

Connie said...

Alex didn't talk until he was 2. Actually both my kids started talking at the same time.

Here's a tip. At his 4 yr appointment they might ask him to draw a stick figure. Start working on that now....

Melissa said...

So I guess this isn't the time to tell you that at 19 months Arianna says over 75 words, points to every body part, knows three colors, can identify pennies, nickles, dimes and quarters and still grunts and points when she wants something. It is even more frustrating to know she can communicate, but refuses to. The secret, Your baby can read. She also makes the sounds for most common animals and can identfiy them although for a long time, they were all dogs. She can sing and dance and climbs everything. Currently, she is also vacuuming my living room. :) Time to get her a real one. She is also the third child, but she is a girl and that makes a world of difference. She throws a mean temper tantrum and hits, bites and pinches her older brother for no reason. Knowing things isn't everything.

shortmama said...

Drs are so weird about things sometimes!

Shawn said...

I say consider yourself lucky! Both of my girls were talking in complete sentences, that were audibly understandable to strangers, before 18months....and they haven't freaking shut up since! Again I say, count your blessings!

All kidding aside. He'll catch up soon enough but you are right, he doesn't talk because he doesn't need to. Start making him work for the things he wants a little more and before you know it he'll be a blabber mouth just like me!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Been there! When I had Sierra and Makenna in for their 15 month checks, I don't remember the doctor being so . . . thorough. I was starting to feel like Kam was so far behind, until I really started counting all of the words she says, and all that she can do. Sometimes I just draw a blank at the dr.'s office. Also, I think they want to be extra sure to catch any delays as early as possible. But it can make a mama crazy! :)

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

He'll pick up words in NO TIME!! Don't you worry Momma!!!

AndreaLeigh said...

I take a head in the sand approach to Cooper - I refuse to think about what he should or shouldn't be doing because it would freak me out. LALALALLALALA. He isn't crawling, no Mama or Dada (he's said them once), he only sits up when we force him to....

Our 9 month well baby is going to be a blast!

Kelli said...

At 15 months...really. Wow.

Christie in Dallas, TX said...

I'm sure you were waiting for Ashton Kutcher to jump out and declare you "punked" -- that's crazy! I don't remember what Cella was doing at 15 months, but as long as little Ian is communicating in some fashion with you, he is fine. I'm sure having a big bro and sis to do all the talking has an impact on him as well!

xoxo

He & Me + 3 said...

He is so cute. He will get it. WE taught our kids to sign too.

jennykate77 said...

Oh man, he is growing up TOO fast!!! I can't believe he can do all of that already! I never taught Isaiah sign language, but some of my friends have. If there is ever another, I'll definitely teach them to sign early on! I think it's so helpful!

Goodness, what a little doll he is!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

pfft. The time will come soon enough when you wish he would just have a sippy cup full of Quiet and let you have a moment's peace.

Anonymous said...

I am just now getting to this post in my reader! oo man Sammy was very similar.. then like you said it all clicked and now I can't get him to shut his lips for 4 minutes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...