Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Summer 2013 Day 39: Albuquerque, NM

We had a fantastic day in Albuquerque, New Mexico - saw ancient writing, put my monkeys in a cage for awhile, had an Elvis milkshake, and took the world's longest skytram up to the Sandia Peak - where it was 46 degrees!!! It was amazing!!
It was an absolutely exhausting day but I wouldn't have changed a thing.  Ian didn't want to climb the rocks to see the petroglyphs - "too scary mom!" But he handled it like a trooper.

We enjoyed a nice stroll around the zoo - the kids always really enjoy seeing the animals.  This was just a little taste as they now can't wait to see the San Diego Zoo.
Lunch was probably the best meal we have had on the trip so far - hate to say it - burgers and milkshakes - can't go wrong with that.  we - ok I - have wanted to NOT eat at chains while on vacation but we have not had good luck at choosing restaurants so far. But the decor and atmosphere of 66 Diner was great.  And I had to laugh when Jack asked me what this was:
Our goal was to hit a few museums in the afternoon before heading up to the Sandia Peak, but once we got to Explora!, the children's museum, we slowed down - they were having so much fun - it was one of the best ones we had been to - and we have been to a lot.  Cool ball contraptions, interactive water features, 2 story sky bicycle, and bubbles - oh how my kids love the bubbles.

We quickly hopped over to the International Rattlesnake Museum - I will let Jack tell you about that fun (yikes).
And made it up to the tram for the sunset - but there was no sun - it was all hidden by a rainstorm - but the ride was magnificent none the less.  I wish the trails were open up top (closed since May due to forest fire danger).  But the guides on the tram were very informative and fun.  It was a great close to a spectacular day.

It was our 3rd day of the road trip. We were in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The morning we went to see some beautiful petroglyhs that were made many years ago, all the way to the B.C. time period! I became a junior ranger and promised to protect the environment.
After the long hot hike, we headed towards the ABQ Biopark. We wanted to go to the aquarium, but the train ride there was 30 MINUTES LONG! It was insane. Anyway we went and saw the reptiles (definitely not my favorite), cats (in one they were training a adult cat), and many more. Half way through the zoo we found this amazing playcape. It had slides, a zip line, a rope swing, and right outside a water pad. After playing on it for a while, we went and saw the giraffes. There were 2 females, 1 male, and a baby that was born in April 2013. Jack and I went up close to the male and saw him pee and then drink it! IT WAS DISGUSTING! When he was done he looked up and smiled at us!

We left the zoo and went to 66 Dinner for lunch. Their restaurant was adorable! It was like a 50’s restaurant. The countertop had a shelf above it had a whole collection of PEZ dispensers. We all had burgers except for Jack (as you know he is a picky eater). We also got shakes. Mom got Elvis (peanut butter & banana), Jack got vanilla with peanut butter, and I got mint chocolate chip.

After stuffing our selves, we went to the Explora! Museum. We made many different contraptions and taught kids how to make big bubbles in the bubble room. When we were about to leave, Jack and I made a marble track. When ever Jack tried sending a ball down it would never work. But when I did it, it ALWAYS worked. I have the magic touch!
The next museum we went to was The Rattlesnake Museum. It was the world’s largest rattlesnake collection ever! When were done, Mom and Jack interviewed the owner. Ian and I went to the bucket outside to see what was in it. We went so close Ian leaned over to see what it was. When he saw it, he screamed SOOOOOOOO loud! It was hilarious because all that was in there were some tortoises!

After calming him down, we went around the Old Town Plaza. We walked around for a little while, until it was time to go on the SKYTRAM! Because it rained with thunder and lighting, the tram was on standby for a bit. Finally we got on and were off! It took us 15 minutes to get up to the top. But the view was amazing! Because it hailed and rained at the top, it was freezing! We saw some ski lifts too. I think my family should go skiing there instead of Colorado! That night we were pooped! We got some pizza, watched some tv, got in to bed and was out.

Yesterday I had a lot of fun. First we went to the Petroglyph National Monument. I liked it because the petroglyph’s have lasted what seems like forever! I also like how they had signs that told you about the petroglyphs.
After that we went to a Route 66 Diner. You could get shakes, sandwiches, and burgers. It was delicious!
After lunch we went to the Old Town and saw the International Rattlesnake Museum. I was so happy when we got there because I love reptiles. We got to see a ton of snakes and more snakes. A snake had just shed its skin 15 minutes before we got there.  It was a Diamondback Rattlesnake. There were also these cute turtles. At the end I got a really cool shirt that had $ 3 off because I wore it for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...